Sunday, 24 March 2013

Gooey caramel brownies

There is nothing better than taking a bite into a chunky slab of gooey chocolate brownie and washing it down with a glass of ice cold milk. I'd seen the salted caramel version on smittenkitchen.co.uk but I'm not overly keen on salted caramel, so I left out the salt. These are so deliciously gooey with molten caramel mmm. For once I haven't used a packet mix. (Yes, really.)
gooey
What you will need: To make the caramel 
100g of white sugar
3 tablespoons of butter 
3 tablespoons of double cream

Place the sugar in the pan over a medium heat. Stir for 5 minutes until the sugar starts to melt into a molten copper coloured liquid. Add the butter and cream and keep stirring until the mixture is nice and smooth. Stir until the caramel is bubbling away and all mixed in nicely (it smells delicious) Pour the golden bubbling pan of caramel onto a bowl with greaseproof paper and pop it in the freezer and wait for it to set! Yes.. It really is that easy!

What you will need: To make the brownies
85 grams of plain chocolate
200g of white sugar
115 grams of butter
85 grams of plain flour
2 eggs 

Preheat the oven to 180. Break up the chocolate into pieces and add it into a bowl with the butter. I popped them in the microwave and stirred them every 20 seconds or so until they had melted. Add in the sugar, eggs and flour one by one and mix them all together the mixture is nice and smooth. Then check on your caramel. If it's hardened peel it off the greaseproof paper and you should have something that looks a little bit like this..
caramel
Cut the slab of caramel up into little pieces (try not to eat too much of it whilst doing so, mmm!) Then place the brownie mix into a glass baking dish and dot little squares of caramel all around the mixture.. Place the dish in the oven and leave to bake for around 30-35 minutes depending on the thickness of your baking dish. (I always use a wooden skewer to see if something is cooked if the skewer comes out clean you're okay, if the skewer comes back wet with cake / brownie mixture, you will probably need to wait a little longer!) So.. now we wait.
gooey Find something to do in the meantime, pace around the kitchen or play Candy crush on your iPhone like me (that game is so addictive) Does anyone else get nervous at this stage that they won't turn out great of if you take your eye off them for one second the kitchen will be engulfed in smoke? no? Just me.. okay then. I always set a timer too so I don't forget. Once they're done leave them to cool for 20-30 minutes or so and you should have something that looks like this.. behold the dish of chocolate-y caramel gooey goodness and cut out a generous sized slab..
brownie
caramel brownies
I have to say..This picture here does not do the texture and taste of these brownies justice whatsoever. They are so, so moist. I think they're served best whilst the caramel is still nice and warm. These little brownie bites are so gooey with thick caramel it's probably a good idea to have a cold glass of milk nearby (you know, to be on the safe side!) What do you think? This is the first recipe I've made from total scratch in a long time. It really is very, very easy! Will you be giving these a go? If I can manage to successfully make these from scratch, you can too. 

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

51 lovely comments:

  1. They look incredible! I love making and eating brownies so definitely giving this a go! xx

    www.oletaeilis.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could really do with a slice of that with my cup of tea right about now...

    Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Becky, I will definitely be making these next weekend!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this looks mouthwatering!

    www.mkstyleramblings.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh yummy, these looks and sound deeeelicious! I can almost smell them!

    I've tried to make brownies, and blondes, once, and they turned out absolutely terrible so I have never tried since! These sound so stupidly easy though, and the yummy caramel too! Seriously, when Dan and I get our own house I'm gonna find a huge kitchen and make my way back through all the recipes you've made until I'm too fat to leave the house. Really!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm speechless! So good.
    Sophie
    X

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look amazing, I love the heart shapes! xxx
    http://unstitchedd.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wah I love all of your recipes! So much chocolaty goodness! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look delicious! Might have to try making these :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yummmm, these look gooooood! I love brownies and I love caramel - so a great combo! I think my boyfriend will be begging me to make these haha. I made some easter themed brownies yesterday, will be popping the recipe up on my blog this week! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look delicious! But you have missed off the measurement of sugar you need for the actual brownies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for letting me know I've added it in now :)

      Delete
  13. These look delicious, brownies are my favourite. They're so moreish! :)

    http://lexiaa2202.blogspot.co.uk/

    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my! they look amazing! xx


    http://leishaaxo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look and sound amazing! Will be giving these a go during the week. I'm a big fan of brownies.
    Claire Nina
    www.Daydreamsinthegarden.blogspot.co.UK

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look amazing! I can't believe you left out the salt though, salted caramel is the best eeverrrrr!

    J x

    Ginger Pickle

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are definitely going on my "to bake" list! Thanks for sharing :) x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh these look delicious!

    http://erstwhilefelicity.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yummy recipe, can't wait to try it!
    Thanks for sharing (:

    - Farah
    thesartorialwanderer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. They look so delicious. I will surely try them -x

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look wonderful you do so many fab recipes
    http://joannavictoria-x.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow these look really really lovely! I cant wait to make them... :) Thanks for sharing the recipe with us!

    Siobhan xxx

    www.glitter-x-couture.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMG yum this looks delicious! I want you to send me a virtual slice!
    Sofia x

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks really yummy, I need to try and make these! Love the heart shape it's so cute

    A little bit Unique - Blog // Facebook // Bloglovin



    x

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look so amazing!! Definitely going to try them:) x

    www.thebeautymist.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow these are amazing! so yummy! must try this recipe!! :) xx

    www.helensfashionblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've bookmarked this for later, they look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. My god these look incredible, when I get too big to be able to get out of the house- I am definitely blaming you.
    Poppy | far away

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm going to attempt to make these later on today, look incredible! :) XO

    Honey
    www.imhoneyy.blogspot.co.uk

    Enter my giveaway here

    ReplyDelete
  30. THese look TOO good! Definitely planning to make these... xo

    ReplyDelete
  31. Super impressed that not only did you make the brownies from scratch, but caramel too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. These look so tasty. I'll definitely be trying out the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  33. AMAZING! Have to try these diabetic babies haha :)
    xx
    www.zdevania.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. hmmm, sounds and looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! This looks amazing!
    FebruaryGirl.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I can't remember the last time I made Brownies from scratch!! I love caramel & chocolate so this will be on my radar of to-do this week!=)

    Ergo-Blog

    ReplyDelete
  37. they look delicious! I don't think I've ever made brownies from scratch before!
    Amy | http://amysbeautyjournal.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  38. I definitely need to try making these! However, with my baking skills it'll be a miracle if they come out looking as good as this haha x



    http://studsandsparkless.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  39. They look amazing! Yum! I tried your creme egg chocolate cupcakes and they turned out great! I love these recipes, keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Delish! I can't keep up with all your baking posts, I'm still recovering from my rainbow cupcake food coma! Definitely bookmarking this post in my 'need to bake' folder haha! x

    http://justanotherhighmaintenancegirl.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
  41. My husband was up watching F1 too! I was sleeping soundly. Haha. He works on one of the teams, so it's a must-watch event. The brownies look amazing. Caramel is yummy, so this is a great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  42. wowieee! These look so so so yummy!
    I must bake these soon, think they would go down a treat in my house.

    I also did some brownie baking on the weekend, posted it last night, mini egg and choc buttons gooey brownies!


    TazandBear

    ReplyDelete
  43. These look so good! Instantly bookmarked this I have to attempt making some. Although I doubt they'll come out looking as lovely and yummy as yours x

    ReplyDelete
  44. I need to make these! My mouth is watering just looking at the picture!!

    Sian
    X

    ReplyDelete

I will try and reply to all comments asap, if you want to ask me a question feel free to message me on twitter @milkbubbletea